Thursday, December 23, 2010

I'll Take the Front Seat

I've been told, on more than one occasion, that all good things come to an end.  I acknowledge the truth in that statement but I refuse to accept the finality of it.  Why does it have to end? I'd much rather believe that the good thing *evolves* into something different.  Something we may not be able to see clearly at first and something that may be disguised as disappointment.  Of course, it would be nice if the good things went on forever but I have a sneaking suspicion they would eventually lose their charm and I would crave a let-down to put everything back into perspective.

Without the lows, we cannot fully appreciate the highs.

The dips and curves have all but thrown me off lately.  The highs are spectacular but eventually are shadowed by a rapidly deepening low which, in turn, is chased away by another high.  It's as if I've been riding with my eyes shut for the past month. Completely consumed in the moment and unable to see what waits for me up ahead. 

The interesting thing about it is if you ask someone if they'd want it any other way, you'll find you get a different answer depending on where they are on the rollercoaster.  Ask them at a peak and they're ready to take on anything. Ask them at a low and they'll tell you they wished they would have seen it coming, probably because we have a false notion we could have done something to prevent it. 

We can't prevent it. It's all part of the ride.

This makes me wonder if balance is truly what I seek or if I'm just trying to take the easy (and safe) way out by aiming to keep things at a more manageable level.  I think about some of the experiences I've had during peak times and what I would have missed out on if I had not taken a risk and moved forward with my eyes shut and my heart open and I wouldn't give those experiences back for the world.  It's easy to let go and enjoy the ride during those moments. 

It's when you hit a low or a sharp turn that your instinct is to hold on as tightly as possible even though the ride is going to take you in the same direction whether you fight the force of the curve or not.  Resistance is useless so we might as well sit back and enjoy the ride... twists, turns, highs, lows. There's something to be learned in all of it - humility, happiness, perserverance, stamina, forgiveness, and, most of all, patience.

I feel myself just coming off of a peak and I can see a steep slope in front of me.  Instead of focusing on the bumps along the way and the fear of falling, I will try to enjoy the breeze on my face and the promise of another peak after the next turn.  Hop on... there's room on this ride for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment