Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Listen To You

There must be something in the air.  For the past week or so I have had several of my girlfriends come to me for advice as they struggle to rectify their torn emotions over someone.  I do my best to listen without judgement and find myself repeating the same mantra that has been in the back of my mind ever since I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  The book is filled with subtle life lessons but this one rings especially true as I listen to my friends agonize over decisions that may ultimately result in happiness or hurt. 

We don't listen to our inner voice enough.

And we don't for good reasons.  We can actually come up with a multitude of good reasons to not listen to our instincts and what this complex universal energy is trying to tell us.  It often amazes me how strong denial, fear, and what some people consider "reason" can be in deflecting us from what we know is right and meant to be or what is wrong and shouldn't be.

I recently had dinner with an old friend from high school who relayed a story to me about a life decision he made and how he felt about it.  He had been in college, following a career path someone suggested he would excel in.  He questioned it from the beginning but respected the opinion of the person so he pushed on.  After struggling for a few semesters he finally came to the conclusion to go back to his original educational path.  He was radiant as he told me about it.  Completely resolved, completely at ease, and I could see a new spark of motivation in him as he spoke.

True desire contains no doubt.

I'm finding that the same kind of resolve holds true in personal relationships.  The strongest and longest lasting relationships are the ones you don't question.  There are people you are instinctively drawn to and the magnetism is equally reciprocated.  End of story.

Maybe I'm being somewhat idealistic but I'm beginning to think that the key is to focus on the things that truly feel good and right and let everything else go.  Spend less time thinking about bad things in the past that have hurt you or good things you wish you could re-create and spend more time on things in the present that bring a smile to your face... a walk on the beach, a hug from your child, time spent with friends, planning for a trip, the warmth of the sun on your skin, playful banter across state lines... All of it is so temporary and we waste a lot of time dwelling on things extrenuous to what really matters, myself included.

But then again, maybe I'm just truly exhausted and someone should smack me out of this philosophical and painfully optimistic state of mind. *yawn*

No comments:

Post a Comment